To increase interaction between users, Twitch offers several types of emotes, which are stickers that can be sent in a live chat. In addition to the options offered by the platform, you can also create your own custom emotes. Follow this tutorial to learn how to do this.
Rules for creating emotes on Twitch
First of all, you need to be aware of the rules for creating emotes. The first is that the feature is only available to Twitch affiliate or partner channels. To become an affiliate, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have at least 50 followers;
- 500 minutes of broadcast in the last 30 days;
- Average of three or more simultaneous viewers;
- Seven days of a broadcast made in one month.
As for the requirements for the partnership program, they are vaguer and are usually left to Twitch’s own discretion, which selects the most relevant channels.
It’s also important to know the guidelines for creating emotes. Depending on the platform, you cannot create stickers that contain:
- Hateful conduct such as insults, symbols, stereotypes, and offensive images;
- Harassment, such as targeted insults, bullying and threats or incitement to abuse;
- Threats of violence, such as threats against others and threats of suicide;
- Obscene content, such as extreme or gratuitous depictions of violence, blood, serious injury, and death;
- Sexual content, such as representations of sexual acts (sex, masturbation), excitement, and gestures;
- Nudity, as representations and imitations of naked bodies, buttocks, and genitals;
- Illegal drugs, such as representations or references to the use and objects related to illegal drugs; Vulgarity, such as obscene or explicit words, phrases, and gestures;
- Politics, including phrases, symbols, and political figures;
- Individual letters and characters.
How to create emotes on Twitch
In order for an image to become an emote, it must be in PNG format — other extensions are not supported. Also, the file must be between 112 x 112 and 4096 x 4096 pixels and be smaller than 1 MB.
That said, follow the instructions below to learn how to make your own emotes:
- Open your browser and go to link.twitch.tv/myDashboard;
- Login with your account;
- On the left side menu, click on “Affiliate/Partner Setup”;
- In the “Current emoticons” section, click on “Load emotes” and then on “Simple”;
- Click the “+” icon to upload the image — it will be automatically converted to the other sizes;
- In “Unique code”, enter a name for the emote;
- Click on “Save changes” to finish.
Okay, now you know how to create custom emotes on Twitch. The process to send them is very simple: just enter the live chat and type “:name of the emote” (without quotes).